Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Horse Health Care: Roach-Backed Horse Scores First Win

Fezzywig, my roach-backed adopted warmblood, has scored a big first win in his journey toward horse health:

He jumped his first cross rail today!

Granted, the jump was about 12 inches tall, which isn't very high considering that Fezzywig is about 16.2 hands tall. He's a big boy.

However, having suffered from a roached back for the last several years of his life (he's now coming four), he has:
  • had multiple adhesions all over his body
  • not been very coordinated
  • suffered from multiple sore spots on his body, including his spine and stifles
  • had trouble getting into the canter
  • not been aware of where his feet are
  • had poorly developed muscles over his topline
So for him to successfully jump a small jump, about 10 times in a row, is a major first win for this big boy!

Fezzywig's Horse Health Care Program
Since he came home with me, Fezzywig has been on daily doses of my special home-made "horse goo," which includes an antioxidant juice, blue-green algae, probiotics (acidophilus and bifidus), and enzymes. He gets 1-3 ounces of goo per day and the benefits are definitely noticeable.

The antioxidant mangosteen juice has been key to his horse health care program. The antioxidants help deal with the toxins released by the bodywork he gets on a regular basis.

The probiotics and enzymes help Fezzywig assimilate all the nutrients that I pour down his throat. I believe they also help to release stomach adhesions and soothe any ulcers that he may have.

The blue-green algae gives Fezzywig a dense source of nutrients that he needs to not only re-mold his body, but also to build muscle mass, especially along his topline.

Finally, these last few weeks I have bumped up Fezzywig's Eleviv, an herbal supplement that keeps horses (and humans) in the healing parasympathetic nervous system. I feel that Fezzywig has been stuck in his survival "fight or flight" sympathetic nervous system, since the accident that caused his roached back.

Because I have been pushing Fezzywig's training program a lot harder these last few weeks, I felt he might need the Eleviv to help him over the hump. I've been long trotting him up and down hills, as well as putting him through his paces in the arena. That's a lot of work for a horse who has been stuck in a roach-backed posture for several years. With the Eleviv, Fezzywig has had a great attitude, not to mention making a huge jump in his postural changes.

In any case, I am thrilled that Fezzywig has come so far in such a short time ... and I hope that his story gives hope to those who are trying to rehabilitate other roach-backed horses.

If you are working with a roach-backed horse and have questions or feedback, please feel free to comment. I'll share any information I have, and I would love to learn more from others who are dealing with this same situation.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Also, check out my ebook for wacky horses and humans, or holler at me if you want to know how I fund my horse addiction ... and you can, too!

1 comment:

  1. I have a 7 year old mare that went to a so called trainer to help her with a bucking problem. She had a lousey start as the person that started her could not mount her so tied her head on the 2nd day he had her. He hurt her ear and she still remembers it 5 years later.

    She has bucked me off a couple of times. I found what I thought would be the answer. A trainer with 45 years experience that would give lots of trail miles. He was a rip off. He was out of province working, pregnant girl friend had her friend train my mare. Her and the friend both took a course in Alberta on how to train horses. The girl attempted to mount, my mare took off on a trot and bucked the girl fell off and fractured her leg. This after 90 days training short of a week and a half. Anyway my mare went with a long back and lordosis and came back with a roached back. No one knows how it happened.
    An equine vet is going to try shock wave therapy next week. No guarantee. The so called trainer said she was that way when they picked her up but no way.
    I will let you know if the therapy works. Saddle fitting is going to be the big problem. The roach is further back on my mare.

    ReplyDelete