Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Get Rid of Fleas Naturally

Cat fleas, dog fleas, and just plain bitin’ fleas are a nasty business, and getting rid of fleas can be a trick endeavor depending on where you live. When I first contemplated moving from the high deserts of Colorado (where fleas normally don’t flourish) to the much wetter and warmer climate of northern California, one of the first concerns was fleas!

If you have ever had a dog or cat infested with fleas then you know what a hassle it is. Flea bites can be numerous and extremely itchy, and can drive your animal crazy! And since our two Chihuahuas and one cat sleep with us, I was naturally concerned with flea bites not only on the animals, but on me as well!

I consulted with a few friends who lived on farms and ranches in similar climates to find out how to prevent fleas from infesting the house, and how to get rid of them should they end up on the animals. In particular, I was interested in getting rid of fleas naturally rather than using harsh chemicals.

Getting Rid of Fleas Naturally
My friends were able to give me all kinds of natural flea preventatives, including essential oils and Old World Chrysanthemums. But the best advice focused on two natural solutions to get rid of fleas.

1. Prevent Fleas with Good Nutrition
Apparently dogs and cats with clean blood are less “tasty” to fleas than animals fed on a poorer diet, therefore good nutrition plays a big role in preventing fleas. Since I already top dress the dog and cat food with APA Blend blue-green algae from Simplexity Health, this wasn’t a big change. Before we moved, I simply added more blue-green algae to the food, and have kept up this higher dosage here in California. The results have been excellent. Although our animals do sometimes encounter feral cats and dogs, which carry fleas, I have only once seen a flea on one of our Chihuahuas. Other than that, we have never had an infestation or other flea sightings.

2. Diatomaceous Earth
This chalky substance, which is a type of fossilized algae, was my Plan B. If the animals did become infested with fleas, I was told that I could sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the animals and their bedding to get rid of fleas. Apparently this chalky substance has sharp edges that literally cut open a flea’s exoskeleton, which causes the parasite to dehydrate. We are not fully into summer yet, but I have a feeling that I won’t need to use this plan to get rid of fleas. So far, all the animals are flea-free.

What About You?
Do you have a particular flea remedy that works well for you? If so, I’d love to hear it! Please share in the comment section below!

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Also, check out my ebook for wacky horses and humans, or holler at me if you want to know how I fund my horse addiction ... and you can, too!


5 comments:

  1. Re diatomaceous earth, people need to be aware NOT to use the swimming pool variety, which has the same name but is very toxic to animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like natural flea treatment.thanks for post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and informative post..It really helpful for everyone.
    For more information about pet health care products please visit us at flea control for dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..info@drituaherbalcenter.com / drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete